Monday, June 28, 2010

Half marathon

Every year I try to set myself a physical challenge - something achievable! Last year it was a sprint triathlon. This year I have been training with friend since February to run a half marathon (that is running 1-3 times a week). Yesterday was the big day, and despite the terrible weather of southerly wind and rain, I made it! It took me 2 hours 13 minutes (officially), but 2 hours 10 minutes by my watch as we were a little way back from the start line. My aim was 2 hours 15 minutes - so I was happy. I have to say that the last 5 kms my legs didn't feel attached to the rest of my body and I really needed to go to the loo, but decided that if I had stopped it would have been impossible to get running again, so I forced myself on. Needing the loo was a good incentive to get to the end!!

Needless to say I am very tired and sore today, and will probably be walking like a granny for the next couple of days. Fortunately riding my bike feels fine. The good thing about the running over winter has been that I have kept off the winter fat layer, the problem will be continuing over the rest of winter with no event to train for. Better start looking for a new goal/challenge to aim for - other than the finishing the house!!

No comments: